We make it our job to ensure that your loved one's admission into our long term care home, is as easy as possible. We liaise with relatives and their health care team, to ensure that we can meet all personal care requirements, before we agree to an admission date. We organize all medications with our pharmacist so that you can rest assured that the appropriate medications will be at the facility upon arrival.
For the first few days the new resident will slowly become acquainted with their environment and the new faces of other residents and staff. Friends and family and the individual will have the opportunity to let us know likes and dislikes, and preferences.
They will be invited to read our policies and procedures, where they will learn that there is a resident’s bill of rights, a complaints procedure, and a smoking policy, along with other important information. We will be chatting with you and with your loved one, answering your questions, and asking you twice as many, so that we can learn about the individual, and start to develop a personalized care plan that best meets their needs.
We make this a family friendly home, so residents are free to enjoy visitors be they young or old, two-footed or four-footed. The children of staff members often visit which is a delight for our seniors.
Our Meal Times
All meals, snacks, and beverages are home-made daily in our kitchen. All menus are approved by a registered dietician. Our produce is purchased fresh, locally, and organic when possible. All meals can be adapted to suit individual resident needs and special diets.
We serve three meals a day, with three scheduled snacks between meals. Breakfast is a relaxed affair, served individually at a time that suits the resident. All the usual breakfast items are available; coffee, tea, juice, toast, muffins, fruit, cereal, bacon, eggs, waffles, pancakes and sausages, (and if one forgets they've had breakfast, they are always welcome to a second!)
Lunch is served by noon, and supper at 5.00pm. Meals can be enjoyed either at the dining table or in the individuals' room. In fine weather some residents choose to eat meals on the patio. We do our best to accommodate all likes and dislikes and operate a four week rolling menu. Those residents who require assistance with eating can be assured that they will receive all the assistance and time that they need at meal times. We have snacks and drinks available at all times of the day, at a residents request.
What we provide
- Private room in a safe and secure environment.
- All personal care requirements – dressing, grooming, bathing, personal hygiene, mobility, eating.
- Nursing care – catheter care, skin integrity/wound care, ostomy care, palliative care.
- Monitoring of personal health requirements.
- Storage and administrations of all medications.
- All home cooked meals, snacks, and soft beverages. We use the freshest local ingredients and all meals are home-made in our own kitchen. All menus approved by a certified dietician.
- All housekeeping and laundry.
- 24 hour care staff.
- Arrangement and management of schedules, activities and appointments.
- Access to recreational activities in the home and community.
- Cable, wifi and telephone hook-up in each room.
Prairie Valley Lodge can arrange access to all outside health and care professionals. Transport and Companion Care can be arranged for the safety and reassurance of your loved one. Additionally the following services are available within the home:
- Occupational Therapist
- Massage therapist
- Activities coordinator
- Hairdresser / Barber
- Chaplain/spiritual adviser